Cookware or Crookware?

On Tuesday night I made a traditional German dish called Schweinsbraten (roast pork shoulder), and it was delicious. I made it with parsnips, mashed with Manchego cheese; Spรคtzle, a flour and egg type noodle; and a salad consisting of cucumbers, potatoes, and onions, topped with a red wine vinegar dressing. It truly was mouthwatering and the pork was so moist and flavorful that it almost tasted like lamb. The family loved it and demanded seconds.


The real point of this blog is not about the actual food but more about the dish that was used to cook it in. I used Rachel Ray's 4.75 quart orange casserole and I am an unhappy customer. In the middle of my gourmet pork roast I heard this giant loud crack. At first I thought that a bone had shot off the roast and hit the glass, but then I realized it was Rachel's own dish that had cracked. Anyway, my mother came running, from wherever she had heard the sound of destruction, and said the dish must have broken. I then lifted it up and she looked underneath where she informed me that there was a prominent line drawn from side to side. I quickly put the dish down and we promptly moved all of the ingredients to a more efficient product.


Now I must inform you that this was the second purchase made of Rachel Ray cookware. The first time we bought one we had exactly the same problem. It cracked! The first dish was also a casserole dish but not exactly the same as the second one, however the problem was almost identical. It cracked! They both cracked and both times I wrote a letter to her company informing them of this problem. Obviously, my second letter was a little more antagonistic than the first, but under the circumstances stated above I am sure that you will understand. 


Has this issue been resolved? No, it has not, and upon searching the internet as I so much love to do, I find that there are so many others with the same complaints as mine. Now I turn directly to Rachel Ray and ask: "How can you endorse a product that has flaws?" Please answer us Ms. Ray so that we may know you care about the common people. My roast still turned out the way I envisioned and a possible disaster was reverted. A fun part that came out of this whole dilemma is that we now use "Rachel Ray" as an explicit word eg. Oh Rachel Ray! Why is the chicken burnt?


The recipe is as follows:






Schweinsbraten (Roast Pork)


2 lb / 1kg should of pork, with rind
salt and pepper
1 tsp. ground caraway seeds
1 tbsp. clarified butter
1 onion coarsely diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 leek, chopped
1 bunch of parsley, diced
2 cups / 500ml beer


  1. Wash and pat dry the should of pork. With a sharp knife, cut the rind into a diamond pattern, and season the shoulder well all over with salt, pepper, and ground caraway. Melt the butter in a large roasting pan and brown it on all sides. Add the onion, garlic, and vegetables and brown them lightly. 
  2. Lay the shoulder of pork on top of the vegetables, rind upward, add 1 cup / 250ml water, and roast the pork in a preheated oven at 340°F / 175°C for 45 minutes. 
  3. Then raise the temperature to 430°F / 220°C and roast the meat for another 30-40 minutes. While it is roasting, pour some beer over it from time to time. Take the join out of the pan when it is done, and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before carving. Add a little water to the juices in the pan, pour through a sieve, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy! 

Comments

Popular Posts